Thursday, July 5, 2007

Introducing myself

Originally, the Mi Barco Maldito was captained by Capt. Shogo. Lithene, with a tridentine set of blades screwed into the stump where one of his hands used to be. I imagine you were familiar with him, yes?

It isn't any more. It's a long story.

Ever since then, the ship has had no formal captain. (It also has no formal name, although Mi Barco Maldito - Lithene for "My Damn Ship" - has stuck, in part because our budgets have been running too tight to pay for a full rechristening ceremony to appease the little gods.)

For various reasons, we the idlers sorted the matters out amongst ourselves. Not surprisingly, Tekeli is the acting Master of the ship. Rum, formerly the official first mate, is still technically so (I think.) The theoretical second mate, and acting first mate, would be me.

My name is Charkozu Narko, or at least that's how we say it in Armada Prefecture. (Armada Sarn doesn't have long vowels; instead it adds an /-r/. Thus it's Armada Sarn, not Aamada Saan, and Charkozu Narko, not Chaakozu Naako.) Outside of the Saan Empire, everybody assumes that Charkozu is my given name; inside the Saan Empire - not that I've been there of late - nobody uses their given names.

You will refer to me as Charkozu.

No comments: